This Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is spicy, cheesy, and delicious comfort food!
Before moving to Minnesota, I really didn’t have any personal experience with tater tot casseroles. I guess I had heard of them but I definitely didn’t grow up eating them and really didn’t even know what was in them aside from tater tots.
It became clear once moving to Minnesota that tator tot casseroles, or “hot dish”, is a Minnesota comfort food staple.
So I did my duty in transitioning to becoming a Minnesotan, and gave it a shot with my From-Scratch Tater Tot Casserole. There’s no cans of anything condensed floating around in my version, and it still came out deeeelicious!
Today I’m switching things up and buffalo-ifying the traditional tator tot casserole, with this Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole.
I had a feeling this was going to be good from the start and it turned out being even better than I expected!
Bonus: this is also a one-pot dish, if you start out with cooked chicken, and it’s super easy. I would recommend using rotisserie chicken for a super quick weeknight meal, or just leftover cooked chicken breast.
Along with the chicken, the filling has frozen mixed vegetables, buffalo wing sauce, and GO VEGGIE plain cream cheese. You start by melting the cream cheese and wing sauce in a cast iron skillet. Then you add the chicken and vegetables, top with some cheddar shreds and the tots, bake it, and that’s it! I told you it was easy!
Along with the GO VEGGIE cream cheese, I also used their vegan Cheddar shreds which is non-GMO, 85% less fat than regular cheese, and twice the amount of calcium. I use it, along with the lactose-free shreds all the time in our day to day cooking and love it!
- 8 ounces GO VEGGIE plain cream cheese
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables I used the mix with carrots, corn, peas, and green beans
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken about 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups GO VEGGIE vegan cheddar shreds
- 16 ounces frozen tator tots
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron (or any other oven-proof) skillet, add the cream cheese and wing sauce over medium heat.
- Stir until melted and well combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegetables and chicken until well combined.
- Top with cheddar shreds and tator tots.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until tator tots are golden brown and casserole mixture is bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!