These Brown Sugar Glazed Green Beans with Caramelized Onions, Cranberries, Walnuts and Goat Cheese will quickly become your new favorite green bean dish for the holidays! They are comforting, full of flavor and are healthier than a green bean casserole!
The Good ‘Ol Green Bean Casserole
We’re already a week into November which means we should be talking about Thanksgiving, right?! This year I have teamed up with a local grocery store here in the Twin Cities, Lunds and Byerly’s, to create three fun and unique Thanksgiving recipes. Twists on classics, if you will. First up: the good ‘ol green bean casserole.
Green bean casserole is a staple that has been at my family’s Thanksgiving table since I can remember. There’s something so comforting about that creamy yet slightly mushy green bean filling. Especially when combined with the crunchy fried onions on top.
While I’m not one to pass up a generous helping of the traditional casserole, I think I have found a new favorite green bean dish for the holidays. Brown Sugar Glazed Green Beans with Caramelized Onions, Cranberries, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts is the name. Now THAT is a mouthful!
Now That Is a Mouthful!
The dish starts out with fresh, not canned, green beans. Then cooked in a mixture of butter, brown sugar and Dijon mustard. They are sautéed until cooked through but still a bit crunchy. The only other things you will have to cook are the walnuts and onions, which are preferably done low and slow to get that rich caramelized flavor and color (p.s. the walnuts and onions can definitely be prepared a day in advance).
After that, you simply top the green beans with the caramelized onions, dried cranberries, creamy goat cheese, and toasted walnuts.
In addition to being full of flavor, I would say this green bean dish is a healthier option compared to green bean casserole. As there are no Cream of Mushroom Soup cans or fried onions anywhere to be found! It will definitely be making an appearance at my family’s Thanksgiving table this year and I hope at yours too!
Pin this recipe for later
Click here or on the image below to pin this Brown Sugar Glazed Green Beans with Caramelized Onions, Cranberries, Walnuts and Goat Cheese recipe for later!
Brown Sugar Glazed Green Beans Recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Green Beans with Caramelized Onions, Cranberries, Walnuts and Goat Cheese
for the caramelized onions:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
for the green beans:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 24 oz green beans cleaned, and ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt more to taste
for the rest:
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
To make onions:
- In small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat.
- Add sliced onion and cook until caramelized about 45 minutes.
- Stir often, and reduce heat if you notice they are browning too quickly.
To make green beans:
- In large skillet, melt additional 2 tbsp butter.
- Add brown sugar and dijon mustard, stirring to combine.
- Add green beans, coating with sauce.
- Add water to thin out the sauce, if needed to coat the green beans.
- Cook 10-12 minutes over medium-high heat, until green beans are slightly softened but not overcooked, stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Top with caramelized onions, cranberries, walnuts, and goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!