Blueberry Breakfast Cake is a delicious coffee cake filled with fresh blueberries and is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
Sometimes, we just need cake for breakfast, am I right? Sure, it’s usually oatmeal or cereal that I eat first thing in the morning. But some days, it’s cake that’s on the menu. Lately, it’s been this Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake. If we just add the word “breakfast” before “cake,” it makes it acceptable.
I mean, that’s really all coffee cake is, right? Just cake with a crumb topping and a new label that makes it socially acceptable to eat cake before noon. I’m into it. Especially when it involves a super tender crumb cake bursting with fresh blueberries, like this Blueberry Breakfast Cake!
Ingredients in Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This blueberry cake recipe is pretty straight forward when it comes to the ingredients. There’s butter, sugar, lemon zest, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla for the wet ingredients. The dry ingredients include flour, baking powder, and salt. Lastly, of course, there’s blueberries! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, although if you use frozen, your dough might turn a little more blue than mine did.
How to Make Blueberry Breakfast Cake
To start, you’ll cream together room temperature butter with granulated sugar and lemon zest. Once it is nice and combined, after a couple of minutes with the electric mixer, you’ll add the eggs and vanilla. I always add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the edges of the bowl after each addition.
Next, you’ll combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then you add half of the flour mixture and beat until it’s combined, followed by half of the buttermilk, and beat until it’s combined. Then you repeat this with the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk. Finally, you fold in the blueberries.
After spreading the batter into a 9×13″ baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray, you’ll sprinkle it all with a little bit of sugar to get a little crunch on top. The breakfast cake is baked in the oven for about 40 minutes.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides between each addition, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the mixer bowl and beat until just combined. Add half of the buttermilk and beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp granulated sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and baked through.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then cut into squares and enjoy!