I’ve been on a smoothie kick lately so instead of my typical oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, I’ve been starting my days with green smoothies. I do the same combo every day of frozen banana, almond milk, spinach, and vanilla protein powder, and even though I’ve been having one every morning for two months now, I can’t get enough of them! While the smoothies do a great job at filling me up, mentally I still need a little something to chew on to tell my brain that I’ve had breakfast. I usually grab a granola bar or some almonds, but last week I was craving blueberry muffins. Enter: these bars in an attempt to eat something a little healthier than a muffin.
These bars are definitely not cake bars with “breakfast” slapped on the name to make them appropriate to eat in the morning. They are filled with wheat flour, oats, honey, flaxseed, banana, and big plump blueberries and are truly good-for-ya bars. You could also swap the blueberries for walnuts, pecans, almonds, cranberries, or even chocolate chips and they’d still be great for breakfast. They make the perfect quick breakfast or snack and for me, they were a great snack a couple of hours after my smoothie and definitely satisfied my blueberry muffin craving.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these:
Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars
Healthy Carrot Cake Bars with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
Coconut Almond Apricot Granola Bars
Granola Nut Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ripe medium banana mashed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 8x8" pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and flaxseed.
- Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine honey, almond milk, vanilla, oil, and mashed banana.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix lightly until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator in closed container.