Beef Tamale Cornbread Pie is a super easy comfort meal that is so delicious!
Okay so I know that this is the season when casseroles are OUT and veggies are in but you guyyyyyyyys. I just couldn’t help it with this one. Last week my stomach was feeling icky and all I wanted was something cheesy and comforting to, well, comfort me.
I also didn’t want to go to the store. Lazy blogger alert.
If you only knew how often I went to the store. Like, way too often. Especially with a crazy toddler. It’s just nonsense.
SO. I wanted something cheesy. Something comforting. Something delicious. This Beef Tamale Cornbread Pie completely hits all the marks.
This beef tamale cornbread pie is actually a spin off my Chicken Tamale Cornbread Pie which I made years ago and absolutely love. This time, instead of using cornbread mix, I made my own cornbread mixture. Which really, you guys, is super simple. It’s just flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. So easy.
So basically you semi-bake the cornbread mixture. Then, like you would do with a poke cake, you poke holes in it and then pour enchilada sauce over it, top it with beef and cheese, and bake her up until gooey and bubbling. It’s serious comfort food!
Okay, now I’ll be back later this week with a veggie-filled detox salad. Promise!
Beef Tamale Cornbread PiePrint Rate
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tablespoon taco seasoning divided
- 1 14 ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 10" pie dish or 9x9" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg, 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, corn, and green chiles.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and almost, but not quite set.
- While cornbread is baking, cook the ground beef. Season with remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- Once cornbread is baked, poke holes throughout entire pan and pour enchilada sauce over the top. I used almost the whole can, but not quite, because I didn't want my pan to overflow.
- Sprinkle ground beef on top and then top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven for another 15 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!