A super easy recipe for Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Casserole that tastes like Barbecue Chicken Pizza!
When I think back to the time in college when I first became interested in trying fun foods (aka when my foodie heart was growing five sizes), one of the first things I think of is pizza. Specifically, California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ Chicken Pizza. I remember being all like “WOAH! BBQ Chicken on a pizza?! Mind. Blown.” Now CPK is old news and you can pretty much get their pizza anywhere, even Target.
But, let it be known that this is where my eyes were opened to meals other than Lean Cuisines and the college cafeteria salad bar. I will also openly admit that one of my go-to meals in college was canned tuna mixed with black beans, corn, and cheese. My stomach turns just thinking about it.
25 Minutes Later…
Whenever there’s the option of barbecue chicken pizza, I automatically lean towards it. So yesterday when I had a craving for barbecue chicken pizza but limited resources, I got creative and made Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Casserole. Bonus: I even made it healthier!
This casserole could not be easier, either. I literally had every single ingredient already in my kitchen: quinoa, black beans, corn, cheese, barbecue sauce. Not only that, all you do is mix everything together and throw it in the oven. 25 minutes later, dinner is done.
To do some prep in advance for an even easier weeknight meal, I would cook the quinoa and chicken ahead of time. You could even probably assemble the entire casserole the night before, and then pop it in the oven when you are ready for dinner. Meal prep, for the win.
Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Casserole
I absolutely LOVED how this barbecue chicken quinoa casserole turned out! It has all the flavors of a BBQ chicken pizza, just as I had hoped. I topped the casserole with some raw red onion and chopped cilantro to really imitate the pizza even more. In fact, I think some green onion would be nice too, now that I think of it.
I hope you love this recipe like we did. Don’t forget if you make one of my recipes, tag me on social media!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken about 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 can corn kernels I used no salt added, drained rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine quinoa with 1 3/4 cups of water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and let cook for 15-18 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and quinoa is sprouted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, chicken, corn, black beans, barbecue sauce and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Stir well to combine.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to a 9x13" pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melty and mixture is warm throughout.
- Top with chopped red onion and cilantro.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Casserole recipe for later!
Loving those super long pins? Here is another one you can pin for this recipe – enjoy: