Banana Carrot Muffins are a healthier muffin recipe with mashed bananas, shredded carrots, cinnamon, and a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour! They are a great snack or on-the-go breakfast.
I was thinking this morning about all of the brownies I’ve been baking (Red Velvet Brownies, Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies, Mississippi Mud Brownies) and thought to myself “Taylor, maybe you should cut back on the chocolate and bake something a little healthier.” Actually I didn’t say that. I don’t (usually) talk to myself. But I was looking back at what I’ve baked lately and it’s been brownies, brownies, and more brownies. It’s time for something healthy to come out of my oven, like these Banana Carrot Muffins!
That’s where these muffins come in. They not only have a fruit in them, but a vegetable too! I also swapped out the oil for applesauce, added some whole wheat flour, and cut down on the sugar a bit. They are definitely suitable for everyday consumption, which is a good thing because they are super tasty and I plan to eat them everyday for breakfast next week. This means I’m going to have to make another batch because between the kids and me, they’re almost gone already.
Ingredients in Banana Carrot Muffins
All Purpose and Whole Wheat Flour – the combination keeps them fluffy, but an addition of whole grains makes them healthier.
Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger – some warm spices to give them a lot of flavor
Ripe Bananas – the riper, the better!
Unsweetened Applesauce – used instead of oil to cut down on the calories and fat.
How to Make Banana Carrot Muffins
These muffins are very simple to make. First, the wet ingredients are combined. This includes applesauce, eggs, sugar, and honey.
The dry ingredients are then added to the wet ingredients and folded in until combined. Try not to over beat – just stir until combined. Lastly, fold in the shredded carrots.
The batter is scooped into a greased muffin pan, and baked at 350 for 15-18 minutes, or until slightly golden and baked through. These are delicious straight from the oven, or cooled at room temperature!
Banana Carrot Muffins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded/grated carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 muffin muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, applesauce, honey, and mashed bananas until well combined.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, all-purpose flour, and whole wheat flour, mixing with a spatula until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Fold in the grated carrots.
- Fill the muffin pan 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown and no longer soft/mushy on the top.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan and then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.