Balsamic Oven Braised Pot Roast is THE most delicious pot roast recipe you will ever try! This pot roast recipe is made in the oven with chuck roast, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, balsamic vinegar, and red wine.
Growing up, pot roast made a frequent appearance on our dinner table. I never loved it, but didn’t hate it either. I tolerated it. Looking back now, I didn’t appreciate how good it was. I mean, how can you go wrong with slowly braised chuck roast with tender veggies? This Balsamic Oven Braised Pot Roast definitely takes pot roast up a few notches, with garlic, red wine, and balsamic vinegar.
In addition, this pot roast is braised in the oven, which I feel results in a superior end result compared to a slow cooker. Don’t get me wrong – slow cooker pot roast is great for its convenience and ease. However, if you have the chance to braise it in the oven, I’d highly recommend it!
Ingredients in Balsamic Oven Braised Pot Roast
Chuck Roast – I use a 4-5 lb chuck roast for our four person family.
Balsamic Vinegar – adds amazing flavor to the pot roast and vegetables!
Red Wine – along with the balsamic vinegar, it really deepens the flavor of the entire dish. If you don’t want to add red wine, you can replace with beef broth.
The ingredients are simple but together, they are absolutely delicious!
How to Make Oven Braised Pot Roast
This pot roast recipe begins with browning the chuck roast in olive oil, for about 4-5 minutes on each side. This gets a nice sear on the outside which not only looks gorgeous, but caramelizes the natural sugars in the pot roast and amplifies the flavor.
Once the pot roast is browned, it is removed from the dutch oven. Then onions and garlic are added to get them slightly softened. After this, red wine and balsamic vinegar are added to deglaze the pan, and the remaining ingredients – the chuck roast, carrots, and potatoes – are added to the dutch oven.
Then, the lid is placed on the dutch oven, and off it goes into the oven! This oven braised pot roast is cooked in a 300 degree F oven for 3-3 1/2 hours. You’ll end up with fork tender pot roast that is so, so good!
What to Serve with Pot Roast
Balsamic Oven Braised Pot Roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 lbs chuck roast
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cabernet wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 carrots cut into 1" chunks
- 4 cups red potatoes cut into 1" chunks
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large dutch oven.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper on each side.
- Add chuck roast and brown on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove chuck roast from dutch oven and set aside.
- Add sliced onion and garlic to dutch oven and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Deglaze the pot with the red wine and balsamic vinegar, and stir well.
- Return the chuck roast to the dutch oven, along with carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with lid and place in the oven.
- Cook for 3-3 1/2 hours, until the pot roast is fork tender.
- Serve and enjoy!