This post is sponsored by GOVeggie! Foods as part of a yummy partnership. As always, recipe and opinions are my own.
Well, I guess it was just wishful thinking that I would start to feel better because now I am down for the count. I tried going in to work yesterday but barely made it through the morning before I had to head home for the day. I can’t even remember the last time I was sick…like we’re talking years ago. I guess those green veggies I love count for something?
Although our symptoms are pretty crappy – sore throats, achy muscles, headaches, and fatigue that just knocks us out – I made a comment to Marc yesterday along the lines of “Well, at least we don’t have the stomach flu and we can still eat!” (there’s that optimistic foodie in me!) to which he responded “I’d rather have that because it only lasts 24 hours.”
Since we still CAN eat without it coming back up, we’ve been leaning towards comfort foods like grilled cheese with tomato soup and macaroni and cheese, along with nutrient-packed smoothies to hopefully speed our recovery. Plus bowls of ice cream for good measure and y’know, soothing the sore throat.
Our cravings for grilled cheese comes at a perfect time because didja know April is National Grilled Cheese Month?!
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- 4 slices GO Veggie! Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese or your favorite cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter spread
- For each sandwich, place 2 slices of bacon on one slice of bread.
- Top with 2 slices of cheese, and the sliced jalapeno, to your liking.
- Top the jalapeno with the remaining slice of bread.
- Spread butter spread on each side of the sandwich.
- Cook the sandwich using either a skillet or a panini press.
- For a skillet, heat over medium-low heat.
- Place sandwich on skillet, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- If using a panini press, place sandwiches in the panini press and cook 5-6 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is melted.