for the cake:
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled cored, and chopped apples
for the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
for the brown sugar glaze:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after the addition of each, then add vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add half of flour mixture to wet ingredients, then the sour cream, then rest of flour mixture.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, smoothing out to the edges.
- To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the cake batter and bake in preheated oven 35 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Make the glaze by combining the sugar, vanilla, and cream and mix until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake and serve warm.