If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that Marc and I went on a canoeing and camping trip with another couple this weekend. I don’t think I’ve ever been canoeing so I had a feeling it was going to be an interesting trip. That, and the fact whenever Marc and I have done water sports in the past, like kayaking, it’s never ended well. He goes too fast. I get tired. He tries to give me tips on my “technique.” I am less than receptive to his advice. He is patient and continues to attempt to help me. I get crabby. So really, I think it is just me that’s not cut out for those sort of activities.
I’m happy to report that despite my worries about the trip, it turned out to be a success. We canoed 50 miles over the two and a half days, and I was only mildly annoyed when Marc was giving me constructive criticism on my technique. That’s a win. Along with the canoeing, our weekend was filled with delicious camping food including ribeye steaks, grilled veggies, chicken sausages, bacon filled pancakes (yup. do it.), and these cookies. Granola cookies studded with white chocolate chips and coconut, to be exact.
These granola filled cookies turned out to be the perfect snack during portages, rest breaks, and after lunch and dinner for dessert. Needless to say, they went fast. They are sturdy yet chewy cookies, which allowed them to hold up great in our packs but weren’t rock hard. In addition to granola, which gives the cookies a bit of a crispy bite to them, these cookies have white chocolate chips and coconut to add to the chewiness. Really the possibilities of combinations between the granola and chocolate chips are endless, though I loved the Vanilla Almond granola that I found in my grocery stores bulk section combined with the white chocolate chips.
In addition to camping treats, these cookies would be great for summertime picnics, potlucks, or just an afternoon snack.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Almond Vanilla granola
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until mixed.
- Add the granola, white chocolate chips, and coconut and mix until just combined.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 3 minute before moving them to the baking rack to cool completely.