Did everyone have a good weekend? We had an awesome long weekend up north at the cabin. Even though the temps were freezing (in the -20’s!!), we managed to get outside every day and sled, cross country ski, have snowball fights (Lars’ new favorite thing), go on nighttime adventure hikes, watch the sunset from the outdoor hot tub, and of course – cook lots of delicious food.
There was one caveat, however, and that was that Marc and I are doing Pinch of Yum’s 30 Day Sugar Free January. Which meant no dessert and no sweets for breakfast. We aren’t being super strict about the whole thing, but it has been a fun challenge to get our sugar consumption under control. The holidays have a way of making a few cookies/fudge/bars every single night seem okay, y’know?
In addition to staying away from sugar for the month, I’m trying to get as many veggies into our meals as possible. I’m typically pretty good at this but sometimes it’s hard when things aren’t in season and ALL THE CARBS are calling my name.
About the veggies: I’ve been really into the pre-cut bagged veggies lately. I’m 100% sure it has to do with this cute little baby named Soren who makes getting dinner on the table a little more challenging than it was 3 months ago when I only had a toddler pulling on my legs. Now I have a baby in my arms/in the baby carrier AND a toddler at my legs. That said, any shortcut that I can take is so appreciated, which is why I’m all about those bagged veggies.
This recipe for Almond Coconut Noodle Bowls has a bag of the pre-cut broccoli/carrot mix and a bag of snow peas. Double veggies for the win! You could definitely keep this vegetarian and omit the chicken, but I added a couple of chicken breast halves to amp up the protein.
The star of this show, however, is the almond coconut sauce. SO good, y’guys! It’s a mixture of almond butter, coconut milk, garlic, Sriracha, ginger, soy sauce, and honey and after being mixed together with the magic of the food processor, it just gets tossed with the veggies, chicken, and noodles and voila! Dinner is served.
This dinner was husband AND toddler approved. Lars loved slurping up the noodles!
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 2 chicken breast halves cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12-16 ounce bag pre-cut broccoli and carrots
- 6-8 ounce bag snow peas
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-3 teaspoons Sriracha depending on how spicy you like it
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- Heat large pot of water over high heat.
- Add noodles and cook according to package.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a place.
- Add vegetables and sauté for another 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- In a small food processor, add sauce ingredients and pulse until pureed.
- Add chicken and noodles to pan and toss with vegetables and sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture is heated through, just a minute or two.
- Serve and enjoy!