Last week I posted a question on Facebook (like my page here!) asking what kind of recipes you guys wanted to see on greens & chocolate in the next few months. Surprisingly, more people than my mom and aunt replied and I was also surprised to hear that salads and veggies are what you guys are craving! Healthy little readers I’ve got, yeah? Way to go you guys!
Well, today I don’t have veggies. Or salad. Just chocolate. Sorry. But not really sorry. Like, I’m really really not sorry because these bars are a-freaking-mazing. Before you go running away in your skinny jeans, listen here: these almond bars are somewhat healthy. ‘Somewhat’ because yes, they still contain sugar and chocolate, but also ‘healthy’ because they have no flour and no butter! You could even swap the sugar for an unrefined sugar, like honey, if that sort of thing is up your alley.
So yeah, almond meal. That’s what’s goin’ on in these bars instead of flour. I’ve had a bag of almond meal sitting in my pantry for months now, which I would think about using every once in awhile but then get scared and use flour instead. I mean, flour is my safe place. I know flour. I love flour. I don’t know anything about this almond meal stuff. Finally this week I decided to just go for it. I found a recipe that didn’t use other crazy flours or weird ingredients, modified it to my liking, and voila! These bars were born and my life will never be the same.
Seriously, ask Marc. I’ve already eaten half of the pan and I just made them yesterday. If you like almond butter, you simply MUST make these bars. If you don’t like almond butter or you’ve never had it, I’m begging you to try these. They have a nutty flavor from all of the almond going on in it, but turned out surprisingly not as dense as I thought they would with just the almond meal as the base. They’re not light and fluffy like cake but definitely have that blondie-ish consistency going on. Though they aren’t super dense, they are pretty rich with the chocolate chips and almond butter. So make a batch, cut them while they’re still warm, pour a glass of milk, and enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar you could also use honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips gluten-free if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond butter.
- Whisk in coconut oil and stir well to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well with spatula. Batter will be pretty thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!