Okay, can I come clean with something? We hardly ever make our own pizza. Maybe it’s laziness (okay, it’s DEFINITELY laziness) but isn’t it just sooooo much easier to dial the number to the pizza place, or even better – order online – and have it delivered right to my door? And those melty cheesy cheese sticks (with a side of ranch like I used to do at 1 a.m. back in my college days) just get me every time.
But let’s be honest – a few too many stops at the pizza joint are not good on the wallet and all that grease really adds up. Making your own pizza with, say, whole wheat crust and healthy toppings seems like a legit compromise.
This pizza just screams spring – a pea pesto base, topped with more peas, mozzarella cheese (I used GO VEGGIE Mozzarella Shreds – LOVE!), lemon zest, and radishes. You could get even more into the spring theme and throw some asparagus and artichokes on there too, but I wanted to stick with the pea theme.
Okay, so PEA PESTO. A pesto like this is perfect for this time of year when basil isn’t overflowing in your herb garden (at least not here in the Midwest where my herb garden isn’t even started yet…) but you still want to make some homemade pesto. There’s a little bit of basil in it for that classic pesto flavor, but the bulk of the pesto is peas. You put them in the food processor and blend until it’s a smooth consistency.
You could also use regular pesto (homemade or store-bought) if you want. Any of these options will be delicious! Just don’t forget the lemon zest on top – it is that zing that will keep you coming back for another slice!
Looking for more pizza ideas? Check these out:
- For the Pesto:
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh ones, blanched)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- zest of ½ lemon
- juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Pizza:
- 1 pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough)
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh, blanched)
- 2 cups GO VEGGIE Mozzarella shreds (or your favorite mozzarella, shredded)
- thinly sliced radishes, for topping
- lemon zest, for topping
- To make the pesto:
- Pulse together the peas, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt, until well combined.
- To make the pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread out pizza dough on a well floured surface.
- Spread the pea pesto over the dough, leaving a ½" crust.
- Sprinkle with peas, then top with shredded cheese.
- Place pizza on a floured pizza stone or onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Slice, top with sliced radishes and lemon zest, and enjoy!
This post was sponsored by GO VEGGIE, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for allowing me to share the brands I love with you!