You guys, I am a convert. I am no longer a person who doesn’t understand how people can eat plain yogurt because ewww it tastes like sour cream! How did such a huge life transformation come about, you’re asking?! Simple: I made my own yogurt! While I thought it was going to be a complicated and daunting task, it actually ended up being easy-peasy and just a bit time consuming. But the results were oh-so worth the time it took. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be able to go back to sweetened yogurt ever again.
I never would have considered making my own yogurt until I received the lovely Julia’s (who, p.s. is awwwesome) new cookbook Delicious Probiotic Drinks. While flipping through it for the first time, I was in awe of all of the beautiful pictures (who knew ginger beer and kombucha could look so pretty?!) and down right inspired. Julia does such a wonderful job at taking the reader through the processes of making time-intensive and multiple-step recipes for fermented drinks and made me feel like I could actually make them.
Since I’m an avid yogurt eater, I decided to make yogurt first. I was also planning to make one of the variations that Julia has in her book (banana cream pie yogurt! mojito yogurt!) but truthfully, after one bite of the homemade plain yogurt, I was too enamored. Seriously, so delicious.
To go with my plain yogurt, I whipped up a big batch of this quinoa granola. I’ve been wanting to make granola with quinoa and I’m so glad I finally did. The quinoa goes in uncooked and as it bakes it just intensifies the distinct nutty flavor of quinoa and is also a bit crunchy, too. I added sliced almonds, flax, and coconut, but you could substitute your favorite add-ins. I also used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and really loved the extra coconut flavor. This is definitely my new favorite granola!
So have I convinced you t hat you simply NEED to try your hand at making your own yogurt? Well guess what – I’m giving away a copy of Julia’s cookbook!
All you need to do to enter is leave a comment below and answer this question:
What would you make first from Delicious Probiotic Drinks? Yogurt? Kefir? Kombucha? Ginger Beer?
This giveaway will run from Friday February 21 to Thursday February 27 11:59pm Central and only open to US residents. One winner will be chosen using the random generator. The winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner doesn’t respond within that time frame another winner will be chosen.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned-oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 2 tbsp whole flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large bowl combine quinoa, oats, almonds, coconut, flaxseed, and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil with maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir well, mixing to combine.
- Pour onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes and watching carefully during the last 5 minutes to make sure it doesn't get too brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Enjoy over yogurt, milk, or by itself!