Happy weekend! And happy birthday to ME! I know bread isn’t typically the way to celebrate birthdays, but I had some birthday cake ‘issues’ so no birthday cake post. Yet.
While this bread isn’t exactly birthday themed, I think it is totally birthday worthy. As in, it’s so good it’s something you would actually want to eat on your birthday. Because if you haven’t heard, you only eat birthday-worthy things on your birthday. Cake for breakfast? Definitely birthday-worthy. Oatmeal sandwich bread slathered with Nutella or mashed avocado? Absolutely birthday worthy. Oh and speaking of mashed avocado on toasted bread…one of my favorite things, ever. I’ve been taking it to a whole new level this week by putting an over-easy egg on top of it and calling it dinner. In.cred.ible.
This bread has also become one of my favorite things ever. It’s really not difficult to make, just requires a little time, and yields a hearty, healthy loaf of bread that makes one mean sandwich. Open faced is my preference, but you go ahead and close it up if that’s your thing. Either way, it makes any sandwich, on any day of the year, birthday worthy.
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and milk, stirring to mix. Let sit 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add flours, oats, butter, brown sugar or honey, and salt and mix on medium-low speed until a "shaggy" dough forms.
- Increase speed of mixer to medium and knead for 5-6 minutes, until well formed, smooth ball forms. If dough is still pretty sticky, add a couple more tablespoons of flour until it is smooth.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow it to rest for 1 hour; it'll become quite puffy, though it may not double in bulk.
- Remove dough and form into a log, then place into a well-greased 9x5" loaf pan. Let rise for 90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes, until golden on top.
- Let cool.
- Slice and enjoy!