This weekend Marc and I are heading to Breckenridge, Colorado. The place where this happened, almost exactly a year ago. It blows my mind to think that a year ago Marc and I weren’t even engaged yet and now we are married. It’s just crazy! In a good way, of course. So this weekend we are heading back to Breckenridge, only this time as newlyweds, to spend the weekend with my family skiing, snow shoeing, eating, drinking, and spending some quality time with each other.
The thing is, I don’t really ski. I’ve been downhill skiing like, twice, and both times were in middle school. And I’m pretty sure each time ended with me having a meltdown because I was frustrated that I sucked so much. Ummm yeah…hopefully this time goes better.
So while I am pretending to be a snow bunny and attempting to ski on a real mountain, I think you should make yourself some muffins. Some good-for-ya, whole-grain, even-filled-with-veggies muffins. Topped with cream cheese glaze, for good measure. They are chock full of whole wheat flour, carrots, coconut, and walnuts, and paired with some fruit or yogurt, they make a perfect well-rounded breakfast.
whole grain morning glory muffins with cream cheese glaze
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened works)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 8 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
for the muffins:
for the glaze:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin pan or mini muffin pan with baking spray or line with muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, vanilla, oil, and eggs until creamy.
- Add almond milk and applesauce and mix well, then add carrots.
- Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Fold in walnuts and coconut.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 23-26 minutes for regular sized muffins or 13-16 minutes for mini muffins, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- To make the glaze, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk. Drizzle over cooled muffins. Enjoy!