This is how almost every Sunday morning goes for me. First, I let myself sleep in. Which really amounts to an extra 15 minutes before I wake up and cannot, for the life of me, get back to sleep. Second, I head immediately to the coffee maker. Third, while my coffee is being made I take Maddie out for a walk. After our walk, I head back inside, pour myself a hot cup of coffee and catch up on blogs. This, not surprisingly, makes me very hungry. Not hungry for oatmeal or a bowl of cereal, either. Looking at food blogs makes me hungry for things like pancakes, eggs benedict, omelettes, cinnamon rolls, muffins, waffles…you get the idea.
The problem is, I usually find some amazing looking recipe which has 5 ingredients that I don’t have. And truthfully, no recipe could get me out of my pajamas and to the store to buy those ingredients on a Sunday morning. Okay, maybe this one, but that’s it. So on Sunday mornings, I need something practical. Something warm, homemade, but nothing too fancy. Something that will get me in the kitchen, but not for so long that my coffee goes cold.
Enter: these cinnamon spice waffles. While they’re not your average buttermilk waffles, they’re not complicated and I would bet you have everything you need to make them right now. Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and sugar? Staples. Cinnamon and nutmeg? Always got ’em. Eggs? Check. Butter? Duh. Buttermilk? Oooh now there’s something I don’t always have. However, I do always have milk and vinegar and that’s all you need to make your own homemade buttermilk! I’ve included instructions below on how to do just that.
I had no idea I would be such an enthusiastic waffle-maker until we received a waffle maker as a wedding gift. It’s one of my favorite gifts! I find them easier to make than pancakes because I don’t have to stand over the griddle wondering if they’re ready to flip and failing miserably at flipping them. With waffles, you just make the batter, pour ’em in, and resume coffee drinking until the timer goes off. Sunday morning breakfast couldn’t be easier!
These cinnamon spiced waffles are simply perfect for a weekend morning. Fun to make and delicious to eat. I loved the extra flavor from the cinnamon and nutmeg and with some real maple syrup they were divine.
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these too:
cinnamon spiced waffles
Serves: 12 waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature*
- *to make your own buttermilk, add 2 tbsp to a 2-3 cup liquid measuring cup. Add milk until the 2 cup mark. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. It should look a little curdled. That's it!
- Preheat waffle maker according to directions.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, melted butter, and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Ladle recommended amount of batter (usually the waffle maker will suggest the amount of mix to add.
- I added about ¾ cup into each waffle), close waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Serve warm topped with maple syrup, whipped cream, or any of your favorite waffle toppings! Enjoy!