Well, it’s official. Maddie and I are obedience school drop outs. We went into the 10 week session knowing that Maddie was pretty young for the class, but like any other obliviously proud dog-parent, I still thought she would excel. Wrong. The first week we showed up and while most of the other dogs were sitting nicely while the instructor was giving us instructions on our exercises, Maddie was jumping around everywhere, trying to play with the other dogs, and if that didn’t draw enough attention to us, she wouldn’t stop barking. Needless to say, I was on the verge of quitting the very first week.
I’m proud to say I at least went back the second week and gave it another shot. It wasn’t much better and I knew it wasn’t the right class for us when they suggested using a pinch choke collar on her. We tried it and, not surprisingly, she was better behaved for the rest of the class, but I couldn’t help but feel terrible that my poor little Maddie was having pain inflicted on her each time she pulled on the leash. I hate to be a quitter, but it just didn’t feel right. So we dropped out. And until we start again, I will love my energetic, sassy, and lovable puppy.
I made these lemon zucchini muffins a couple of weeks ago when we were up at the cabin. I wanted something for breakfast that was light and wouldn’t weigh us down for our long hike we had ahead of us. Along with some fresh fruit, these fit the bill perfectly. They energized us for hours of hiking, and they were quite tasty! The muffins are light, lemony, and the little green specks throughout them made me feel like I was getting some veggies in my breakfast. Oh and do not skip the glaze…it makes the muffins!
Like this post? You’ll love these, too:
adapted from NancyCreative
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat 2 eggs well, then add canola oil and sugar. Blend well.
- Add buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and blend well.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, make the glaze.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until well blended.
- Drizzle over cooled muffins. Let glaze set and enjoy!